One of the things that I love about running my own home accessories and furniture store is watching tastes and trends change or develop. A trend that I have had a particular amount of pleasure finding exciting new suppliers for is “Nautical” or some call it “Coastal Living”.
Coastal Living is a theme that brings the outdoors in with natural or nautical colours complimented with natural elements and materials such as drift wood, shells and stones. For a lot of people Coastal Living is about being able to drift away to another place without leaving their home or about reminding them of places that they have visited, unfortunately there is not alot of people that can afford a nice £9,000,000 property in Sand Banks but we can bring the essence of living in such a picturesque paradise home.
To get the right mix of products and colour is really simple and will make any room into a seaside paradise, to achieve this you only need to follow a few tips:
- Select a complimentary colour palette – Blue is by far the colour mostly thought as the colour of choice for that nautical look and its not difficult to see why, especially when even the name of the different shades are nautical themed “Seahorse Blue”, “Clear Ocean”, “Blue Lagoon”, “Sea Blue”, “Atlantic Blue” and “Coastal Mist” all provide a great base to your themed room add to the Blue some amazing bright white and your room is starting to take shape. You don’t have to be too strict with sticking to the same blue, mix the shades up by adding blue in various pieces and not just on the wall.
- Themed accessories can really help to lift anchor and set sail to a beech far away, take for instance this lighthouse themed lamp http://www.gorgeoustouch.co.uk/lighthouse-table-lamp-1584-p.asp other simple accessory ideas include collecting shells and displaying them in a chic glass vase.
- Furniture selections made of Wood with accessories made from Glass, Wicker or Hessian can provide warm shades and texture that continue to build a maritime environment. An example is this boat shelf (http://www.gorgeoustouch.co.uk/large-boat-shelf-1647-p.asp) made of wood and offering the perfect nautical themed storage whilst providing flexibility of usage in any nautical themed room.
- Furniture, anything goes. There are no real rules to what style of furniture to use so mix it up old with new and where possible dress furniture in blue and white upholstery.
- Take inspiration from anywhere possible, do you have any holiday memories from visiting the seaside? Is there a themed accessory that encapsulates what you want to achieve from your living space if so use this to help inspire your living area. You don’t have to stick to just blue and white, just look at the amazing beech huts in Bournemouth to see the vast array of colours used http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/534844.